travel tips ...
In order to protect some of the more remote places I have visited, I will not disclose their locations. But I am happy to share here some links of projects that need volunteers as well as some nice hostels or restaurants you could consider for our own travels.
central america ...
- La Tortuga Feliz, Costa Rica - Turtle conservation project seeking volunteers
- Latin American Sea Turtles (LAST) - Organisation working with La Tortuga feliz, has also other projects in Latin America
- El Salto Ecolodge, Paraiso, Costa Rica - unique and ecofriendly little boutique hotel overlooking Orosí Valley, awesome views, very friendly owner, great breakfast!
south america ...
- Helados Jauja, Argentina - Best Icecream with the biggest possible selection in Latin America. Several outlets in Argentina from Buenos Aires to Patagonia. Don't miss this!
- Amazon Eco Lodge, Brasil - Floating lodge in tge meiddle of the amazon river. Secluded hideaway, no cell phone reception or internet but stunning nature and wildlife around it. The also offer Survival Packages in the jungle.
- Patagonia - Too many beautiful spots to write them all down. Ask me for more details. Don't miss Torres del Paine, Tierra del Fuego/Ushuaia, El Caafate, El Chalten, The Fjords, Perito Moreno and Bariloche.
- Sustainable Roots, Ecuador - Volunteer Project in Cosanga. Help teaching english, gardening and reforestation.
- Casa Particular Jesus Pineda, Trinidad, Cuba - Cosy little Casa Particular with a great breakfast selection, served on a terrace with an awesome view. Don't forget to ask Jesus for his signature Canchanchara Drink.
- Shipwreck Beach, Zakynthos, Greece - The most beautiful beach I have ever been to. Only accessible by boat or parachute. White pebbles, water drops deep only a few inches from the beach, turquoise and clear water. Rent a private boat to get there!
- Como, Italy - One of my favorite weekend getaways. Charming old town, great views over the lake, more nice villages around the lake, good food and a huge selection of icecream parlours.
- Lauterbrunnen valley, Switzerland - I could list many places from my homecountry, but this one is one of the most inspiring ones. It inspired Tolkien for Rivendell in the Lord of the rings.
- Queijaria Lisbon, Portugal - Cheese and wine shop, dine in or just shop the best products there.
- Strelka Bar, Moscow - Rooftop terrace with great sunset views on Christ the savior cathedral
australia & new zealand ...
- Timber Creek Lodge, Kangaroo Island, Australia - Freindly lodge in the middle of the island. Good access to some amazing beaches where you can see (or even swim with) wild seals and dolphins.
- Tasmania, Australia - Mountains, Cities and Beaches, all in one. Highlights: Best Burger I ever had in Queenstown, Swimming in the cataract gorge in Launceston, stunning views on gordon dam, laughing at tasmanian devils chasing each other in a sanctuary
- Coromandel Peninsula, New Zealand - On the northern island, with one of my favorite beaches ever (Cathedral Cove).
- Okavango Delta - My highlight in southern africa. Stunning Wildlife and nature while camping in the bush
- Spitzkoppe, Namibia - One of the most beautiful camping places. Very remote, perfect at night for stargazing.
- Sossusvlei, Namibia - even though this is in ALL guide books, this place is a MUST SEE. Breathtaking views of the dunes in sunset or at sunrise.
- Aquiles Eco Hotel, Cape Verde - Hotel at the beach in a little fishing village near Mindelo on Sao Vicente. Very friendly staff. Try the locally made puntch and have Achille serve you one of his famous fish dinners.
- Drakensberg Mountains, South Africa - Highlight for hikers and mountain lovers. Don't miss this.
- Kings Cliff, Udagamandalam, (Ooty), India - Charming hotel in the nilgiri mountains. I ended up there because of the Book by Laila El Omari: Tage des Monsuns (ISBN 978-3-426-63820-0). The village itself has not much to offer, but the hotel is nice and the ride with the Nilgiri Blue Mountain Toy Train is a highlight.
- Cochin, Kerala, India - Southern point of India, breathtaking sunsets in front of the Chinese Fishing Nets